Friday, February 24, 2012

Don't milk the pregnant cow

"It is important to not milk a cow in the last couple of months of her pregnancy, so she can "dry off" in preparation to give birth." - ehow.com

I'm not pregnant and not a cow. I have however been silent on here for more than a week and for that I sort of apologize.

It's not that there's anything wrong. It's been a very busy season of paid work and starting a business.

But, I'm also gestating a new story world -- after eight years of inhabiting the same place and characters. I'm mulling the new characters over. I'm trying to see their world for myself. I'm trying to hear their stories. I'm struggling with knowing how to tell their stories -- which kind of narration this story requires.

And so, like a pregnant cow, storing up her milk for the new baby, I kind of feel like I'm gathering my words under me in order to tell a new tale.

Moo.

4 comments:

  1. Love the analogy! Keep on "moo-ving" forward! Ugh! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I was just grieving the lack of posts on my blog as of late and wondering if I was in a slump or just preparing for something new. I hope that I am also a pregnant cow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - unexpected analogy Great blog. I am from New Zealand and blog on books amongst other things. You might be interested in this post about a Marge Piercy poem http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/marge-piercy-poem-that-appealed-to-me.html. Will enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sarah. Moo to you too. And welcome, Carole. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete