Thursday, May 10, 2012

Proust Questionnaire

I like this series of questions, often asked of celebrities in Vanity Fair magazine. I'm going to offer my answers but I'm actually more interested in yours.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A good book, a cup of dark coffee, a comfortable chair in the shade outdoors on a warm spring day. With violets underfoot.


What is your greatest fear?
Abandonment.


What do you dislike most about your appearance?

The loss of my flat stomach.


Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
In writing, many of my characters have a "tangle" of hair or eat tangled-up salads.


What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My husband and children.


When and where were you happiest?
In a garden in Florence, Italy.


Which talent would you most like to have?
I'd like to be able to fly.


What is your current state of mind?
Satisfied.


What do you consider your greatest achievement?

My children who seem like they might turn out to be lovely people.


If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?

A robin.


If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?

A minke whale.


What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

Anxiety.


Where would you like to live?
By the sea.


What is your most treasured possession?

Sea glass in my jean jacket pocket. And small letters from my children.


What is your favorite occupation?

Creating.


What is your most marked characteristic?

Maybe persistence.


What is the quality you most like in a man?

Mischief.


What is the quality you most like in a woman?

Intelligence.


What do you most value in your friends?
Wisdom.


Who are your favorite writers?

L.M. Montgomery, Madeleine L'Engle.


What is it that you most dislike?
Weeding my rock garden. Unresolved conflict.


How would you like to die?

In my sleep, in perfect health, at the age of 100.


What is your motto?

Beauty will save the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment