Monday, March 29, 2010

And then the homeless guy broke my bike

That's the subtitle of today so far. I read a quote last week that said "People like us exactly as much as we like them." Basically, you get back what you give out. Well, I must be giving out something different and unpleasant the last few days, because, oh baby.

After I was called Grandma on Friday, I had not one but two men butt in front of me while in line at Vincenzo's. I spoke to each one - "excuse me. I'm waiting here." but somehow they interpreted my remarks in a different way.

The weekend was relatively harmless, but today I ventured out in to the world alone again, and that may have been my mistake. After a delightful coffee meeting with friends, I was unlocking my bicycle when I was approached by a homeless man on a bicycle asking for change. I declined and then he moved on, and had a small collision with another homeless man. The second man also asked me for change. I declined again. He thanked me. I was reaching down for my bag when I heard a mighty crash. I looked up to see that the man had fallen into my bicycle, severing the kickstand in half. I helped him up, and took his arm and walked him to a good place to sit. I offered him my coffee - he declined.

I had one last errand to do - had to pick up three quick items from the drug store. But I had no kickstand now, so I decided I would lean my bike on the wall outside the mall. However, there was a bike there already, so instead I leaned mine against the window. Somehow it nudged the other bike, tipping it slightly. I decided it was all a house of cards and would fix it when I returned one minute later. I went into the store, found what I was looking for and was headed for the cash register when the Mall Security guy approached and told me my bike against the window would break the glass. "Break the glass?" I repeated. "Yes." "Well, let me move it then," I said. I paid for my items and joined him outside. "I hope you don't go to the newspapers on this one," he said (because I did when mall management had this same fellow put a lock on my bike for parking illegally outside Starbucks last winter.)"I watched you leave your bike here and knock the other bike over." "I'm sorry," I said, because really I was at fault. "I'll pick it up now." "No, it's his," he said, pointing at a teenager nearby who claimed his bike and rode off.

I may need to wear my helmet all day, even when I'm not biking. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment