Monday, April 2, 2012

Madly off in all directions

"Good parents give their children roots and wings. Roots to know where home is, wings to fly away and exercise what's been taught them." -- Jonas Salk

I like this quote. I'm living it too. Saturday, our eldest was in New York City at a family wedding, looking after my sister's kids; our middle child was in Toronto at a social justice conference; Dave stayed in Toronto for the day, working at a library; our daughter went shopping with friends; and I ran a workshop for my company.

It gives me a glimpse of what life will be like, increasingly for us. We're still at the stage of most people being home most nights, but the wings stage is starting, and I can feel my little birdies flexing their muscles as they prepare to leave the nest.

But not tonight. Tonight we get to eat supper all together. And to be grateful that we're together and for the things we've done apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment